Thursday, May 5, 2011

PS3

The first game I'm going to review isn't a video game. I thought this would be a great time to review the Sony PS3 video game console.

The PS3 Network has now been down 2 weeks as I write this. It's a major bummer. This is still the best gaming console right now. I say this with full confidence. I am disappointed how Sony handled the situation but I have to give them some credit for being straight-forward about the intrusion. Once everything is back up and running again, this system is the best console hands-down.

I'm not going to sit here and bash the XBOX 360. It's a great system as well. But it's also had it's own major downfalls, see Red Ring of Death. I know, I have seen this first hand. I bought a 360 brand new and got the Red Ring 2 weeks later in 2008.

This isn't about the 360 vs. the PS3. The first thing that is great about the PS3 is that it plays Blu Ray movies. It's almost like you are buying a high-end Blu Ray player and getting the gaming system for $150. Also, watching movies on the PS3 feels right. The system is quiet and the menu is setup nicely. People like to say the PS3 is expensive but it's actually cheaper than the 360 in many ways. You also get the online network for free. This does have it's drawbacks, and is probably a big reason why the network got hacked. Up until recently you had to pay extra for the WiFi adapter for the 360. The PS3 has always been free.

Blu Ray discs are hard coated with a protective film. This makes the discs more durable and scratch-resistant than standard DVDs and CDs. This is another reason I prefer PS3 games over XBOX games.

You can go online with the PS3 although it's pretty much useless. I haven't had any luck even navigating my facebook page with it. Many websites just don't work and even something as simple as checking your email seems like a chore. You know going into it you are not buying the system to replace your PC, just don't expect it to work that well if your computer is out of commission and you are looking for an alternative. My hard drive crashed and I tried using my PS3 for simple web browsing while my computer was in the shop and I finally gave up on it.
All in all I can forgive Sony. Microsoft let me down one too many times and they had years to fix the problem but let it persist. If the PS3 Network is still down in a few weeks I might have a change of tune. For now it's still the console I use most.

No comments:

Post a Comment